Not being able to travel is not the end of the world. It may feel like it but it really isn’t. Trust me, there are more important priorities in life. Yes, this is very hypocritical coming from me, a person who has been blessed to travel all over the world. This wasn’t always the case though.
Three Basic Reasons why not being able to Travel at this Moment is ok
Life happens and we are all at different stages/seasons in our lives. For some, travel is easily accessible, affordable and/or de rigeur. There are far more people who do not have the luxury or privilege to travel even in their own backyards.
There is no money to travel
Travel is a luxury expense. (The word luxury will be used into the ground in this post sorrynotsorry) Many people who want to travel are not able to do so because of this. If this is the case with you, I want to remind you that this is ok. Many of us who travel now had a period of not being able to travel. I took my first trip to NYC when I was 19. My aunt, who I stayed with for 6 weeks sponsored this trip. Without her help I would not have been able to have had this opportunity. I did not travel much for the next five years after that because my priority was paying off my student loan. (If you have ever travelled that road you know that’s a heavy beast).
I took three trips in that period of time. Two were compliments of buddy passes from my cousin and the other was for a wedding in The Cayman Islands that I saved up a year for. Travel was not a priority then and not being able to travel did not affect the quality of my life. Focusing on paying off those pesky student loans meant I was able to put aside some money for travelling after. Also moving to Japan and working here is a whole other blessing that boosted my funds.
Many people rack up debt chasing the travel lifestyle.Living in this social media age with everybody becoming a digital nomad while travelling ain’t helping. Sometimes you have to stay away from certain triggers that will distract you. There is a time for everything and this time may be the time to focus on other necessities.
The man crouching in the back doesn’t take away from the absolute beauty of these Japanese Chrysanthemums
You have Responsibilities that Keep you at Home now
Not being able to travel now in some cases are because of responsibilities at home. Many people who have small children, older parents or certain jobs are not free to travel for even a short period of time. Sometimes you read our blog posts and may feel like you are missing out. Not all travellers are living fulfilled lives. Of course some are, but remember most people only show the glamorous side of travelling. The perfect pictures often are carefully crafted over something like an hour for many bloggers, instagrammers and the like.
Remember why you need to stay at home in this season of your life. I am sure you are doing something absolutely necessary and selfless. This is something to appreciate and take all that you can from such experiences. Not being able to travel is probably a small negative among a vast number of positives in your life at present. It is always good to focus on the positives and revel in these. Perhaps things will change in the future and you will be able to follow some of your travel dreams.
People who have no Interest in Travelling
We who are in love with travelling and all things travel, often cannot fathom that countless others have no interest in travelling, especially abroad. I know this well because my father has zero interest in travelling abroad. I also know others who feel the same way and are busy enjoying their lives where they are. For these people, not being able to travel isn’t something they even think about. Not everyone wants to travel. When I read some posts by us, who make it seem like travelling is the greatest thing ever I LOL! Some of us are over the top.
In many ways I envy those who do not have wanderlust. Many of us are so busy chasing the next destination that we miss the awesome experiences right under our noses. There is beauty everywhere and we do well to embrace and enjoy what we have at home. She’s on her soapbox again.
How to Build a Travel Fund Bit by Bit for Those not Managing their Funds well
- Save your coins – Get yourself a large tin or a jar and drop every spare change into it. Just keep doing this until it is filled then open an account and lodge this money into it. Keep doing it until you have a good sum to take that first trip, even if it is to another state. Not being able to travel because of money can be addressed over time by doing something like this.
- Make your lunch if you are not already doing so – I know it’s a big headache but you would be surprised how much you can save over a year if you buy lunch for two days of the week instead of five. Balance is everything. Again put the money saved from this into that travel account and watch it grow.
- Stop all that impulse shopping on and off line – Put yourself on a shopping budget and use it as a treat once or twice a year. We spend so much buying stuff on sale that is cheap. These add up bit by bit and many of these clothes get sucked into the deep dark corner of our closets to be discovered far into the future. You know I am talking nothing but the truth.
- Eat out less. Treat yourself a few times a month and keep on top of this. Not being able to travel because of a lack of money sometimes is a result of us saying yes to fast food a bit too often or making going out to eat a past time. If you yearn to travel and do this, check yourself.
- Get on a budget to manage your funds if you aren’t doing so yet. Check out this video for some useful tips. Here is also some great information to get you on the right path.
Not being able to travel because of a lack of money for this, is probably the biggest thing that blocks those who want to, from travelling. Keep your dreams alive and seek out ways to save whatever you can for this.Take it step by step and you will be on your first trip before you know it. In the time being be intentional about living your best life in this season now and enjoying it.